Position: Legal Intern
Upper Seven Law seeks up to three highly motivated individuals to join our team as legal interns for Summer 2024. This role involves working for and with U7L attorneys in pursuing litigation, including drafting legal documents, conducting legal research, submitting information requests, developing legal strategies, and participating in substantive meetings.
Ideal candidates will have an entrepreneurial and action-oriented mindset—prepared for both fast and slow days—with strong interpersonal skills; excellent organization and prioritization skills; a rigorous attention to detail; a team-oriented attitude; and accomplished legal writing, research, and communication skills. An enthusiasm for engaging creatively and dynamically with social justice problems and potential litigation opportunities is essential.
Positions are based in Helena, MT, and report to the Executive Director and the Litigation Director.
Responsibilities & Opportunities:
· Drafting and editing legal documents related to ongoing litigation and new projects
· Writing memos synthesizing legal research
· Engaging extensively with U7L attorneys and on occasion with external partners and stakeholders
· Supporting litigation efforts, including assisting attorneys in preparing for court appearances
· Conducting legal research projects
· Proposing new ideas and projects to advance U7L’s mission
Experience & Qualifications:
· Current law school enrollment
· Excellent legal writing and legal research skills; policy or advocacy writing experience is a bonus
· Enthusiasm for learning and a willingness to ask questions and offer ideas
· Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
· Strong administrative, organizational, and time management skills
· Comfort giving and receiving feedback openly and often
· Rigorous attention to detail and deadlines
· The highest standards for excellence in execution
· Ability to perform nimbly in a rapid pace of work
· Enthusiasm for working on a team and collaborating with others, particularly people who come from many backgrounds and perspectives
· Passion for accountability, democracy, and the rule of law
Location. Helena, MT.
Compensation. This is a full-time ten-week internship that will pay a minimum of $3,000.
Commitment to a diverse workplace. U7L is an equal opportunity employer. We have committed our culture principles to writing and expressly emphasize the strength of diverse teams, which are more innovative, creative, and productive. U7L enthusiastically encourages applications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Growth opportunities. Interested candidates who do not meet all listed criteria are nonetheless encouraged apply; U7L prioritizes mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
Future opportunities. U7L is a young, rapidly growing organization. More full-time attorney positions will become available in the future for law school graduates.
Please email application materials as a single document to include the following: resume, cover letter, current law school transcript, a writing sample, and contact information for three references. If applicable, include hyperlinks to authored writing samples. In your cover email, please mention how you became aware of this position. No phone calls, please.
Submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “[Your Last Name] – Legal Intern application” in the subject line. UPDATE: Priority application deadline is January 12th. Applications after that date will be considered on a rolling basis. Earlier applications welcome.